Friday, May 28, 2010

News worthy

I've been looking at some of the news pieces recently and thought that it might be interesting to spruce up my blog with some latest happenings around the world.

1. iPhone worker deaths
This is just incredibly sad. What is it about the place that makes the workers want to commit suicide? Is it the low wages and long hours? Is it the lack of social interaction because they're at work all the time? The company is apparently conducting research now to find out what is causing the suicides. I find it unbelievable that they didn't make any changes after the first suicide and are only now installing safety nets after ten suicides.

 It's good that they're bringing in psychologists and training counsellors because suicides can sometimes be caused by severe depression or anxiety, but what if it's something else? Could the workers have been blackmailed or threatened? I'm just speculating at this point but coming from the HR line, I'm wondering how the HR department is doing their job. Heck, I'm even wondering if there IS an HR department to begin with.

2. MP wants to ban Yusuf Islam from entering Australia 
And I thought all this singer banning only happened in Malaysia. Lol. I don't know when they will learn that if you start banning people from entering your country, other countries will start banning your people from entering their countries as well. I'm not sure whether the banning request is a genuine one, i.e. the MP really doesn't stand for death sentences or whether this is a political ploy because elections are coming up.

3. Locked in plane
Well I'm glad I don't sleep in planes... I feel sorry for the woman but at the same time, I think it's so funny that she could fall asleep so soundly that she didn't even feel it when the other passengers were leaving the plane. If she didn't hear or feel that the plane had landed, wouldn't there be sounds of people opening the overhead compartments, unbuckling their seatbelts and trying to get out of their seats, people banging their stuff onto the seats, people walking past her... unless of course she had her iPod plugged into her ears.

I think the flight attendants should have done a better job of making sure everyone had left the plane before locking up but at the same time, I think the woman played a major role in getting herself locked in. And now she's suing the airline? I hope the judge is someone like Judge Judy who will berate her for falling asleep so soundly that she didn't even realise that the plane had landed. Oh and the airline also needs to be reprimanded for failing to realise that there was a passenger still in the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment