Monday, May 3, 2010

The flu vs. the cold

After spending 2 days in a no talking zone, I have come to grips with succumbing to the cold after I got a flu shot. My 'extensive online research' tells me that the flu vaccine does not make protect me from cold viruses.  I know right, what the fish? So in an effort to remind myself that useful as the flu vaccine is, it does NOT mean I will not get a cold, or the flu for that matter.



SymptomsColdFlu
Fever
Rare
Usually Present
Aches
Slight
Usual, often severe
Chills
Uncommon
Fairly common
Tiredness
Mild
Moderate to severe
Sudden Symptoms
Symptoms appear gradually
Symptoms can appear within 3-6 hours
Coughing
Hacking, productive cough
Dry, unproductive cough
Sneezing
Common
Uncommon
Stuffy nose
Common
Uncommon
Sore throat
Common
Uncommon
Chest Discomfort
Mild to moderate
Often severe
Headache
Uncommon
Common



So anyway, I'm on the road to feeling better even though I've lost my voice. Now I realise two things -  I actually like to talk and I like the sound of my own voice. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, no? 

No comments:

Post a Comment