I know, I know, it's been a while since I've updated my blog. Perhaps the simplest explanation, which so often is the correct one, is that I've been caught up in the busy-ness of renovating my life. I'm starting a new course next week in a subject that I've wanted to explore since High School, which I've been drawn to numerous times, i.e. when I was studying Medicine (gosh what a mistake that was), when I started working, when I was planning to continue my studies in 2008, and then again in 2010. Maybe the universe will keep sending me messages until I actually study Psychology and become a Psychologist.
Alas the realization of a dream does not come delivered in a neat little box tied up with a bow; nor does it come cheap. Hence, the past few weeks have been a blur of submitting documents, accepting offers, making payments, arranging matters with former uni... it's all pretty boring but necessary to get my life in order. I still wonder sometimes whether or not I'm doing the right thing. I mean, my parents are getting older and will be retiring next year so isn't it time for me to have a career so that I can climb ladders in the hope that I would be able to support them when the time comes?
Anyway, for those who've known me for ages, you may also know that my Dad and I had a huge argument back when I was choosing universities 10 years ago. I told him of my plans to become a Psychologist and he wasn't too happy with that. He still harboured some hope for me to become a doctor which I finally gave in to in 2005. In the end, I decided not to go through with it because 1) I don't like it and 2) there was no financial assistance available. I tried Dad, but it just wasn't for me and I'm glad you see that now.
Soooo, this psychology thing will require another 4 years of study but I may re-evaluate next year after I finish Year 1 of 4 based on my "Becoming-a-Psychologist Plan". The financial aspect is definitely something to consider especially when the fees are A$10k per semester.
The truth is, everything is still pretty much in the air now, but I still believe that I am blessed. The proof is in my mum's e-mail dated June 22, 2010 below:
"Hi Mi, I told dad about u completing ur Master and ur intention to take up the grad dip in psychology and also the fees. He said, he does not mind since u hv the interest, he said we can shelve up our other angan-angan to see u thru".
How's that for knowing that you are loved?
Just believe in what you're doing Widgie. At least you know where u are heading to. Best of lucks to u. :-)
ReplyDeleteBelieve me I ask myself the same question every single day.
ReplyDeleteThe director of my first job post-graduation has this to say to me when I tendered my resignation, "Sometimes in life we have to stop chasing."
The other director who headhunted me for my next position, on the other hand, said this, "Stop worrying too much about other people."
Me? I'm just trying to stay alive.
Thanks for the support guys. Means a lot to me. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI just took a look at my unit outline for the subjects I'm taking this sem. The word is "Die la dis"... so Ellen, u know the force-me-to-marry- Random Guy-so-I-can-stay-in-the-country idea, I think you need to start looking. :)
wdg, im so happy that you are pursuing the line that you were meant to take since like long long ago...im glad that your parents are supporting your dream. p/s: i didnt know you were (thinking of) studying medicine.
ReplyDeleteDeds, I went to IMU kan in 2005? Ish, u remember ba dat...
ReplyDeletedoes this mean you're gonna start charging when we talk to you next time?
ReplyDeletehehehe, i is happy for you too wdg! maybe in time i'll be able to do something about that "i like numbers" part about me too :)
Haha Jayne - initial consultation is usually free. Lol.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think it'll be ok ba if u do it slowly. If u like numbers, u'll probably always like numbers. Actuarists, risk assessors and accountants are usually very high in demand. :)
you know what? i totally forgot about it... it took me a minute or so to remember (oh gosh im getting old) and the only reason why i remembered was because i remembered you told me you had a classmate who is studying law and medicine and you went karaoke-ing at sunway wt some of your classmates (vaguely remembered this but not too sure of this memory)
ReplyDeletelol deds, see u remember oso ba... and yes i had a classmate doing both medicine AND law. and yes we had a karaoke session when i had a sore throat.
ReplyDeletehahaha the small stuffs we remember to link to other stuffs...
ReplyDelete