Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Funny how life is sometimes...

I had a really good day today and (I think) it was all because i found a $2 coin on the floor at work this morning. I put the coin into my register though because I wouldn't want to invite bad karma for $2, would I? My colleague Vicky said that if that was all that's needed to make me happy, she'd be happy to leave some coins on the floor for me everyday! Aww how sweet is that? 


So anyway, today I came in to work with my mind on how to ask my boss to change my shifts on Friday. My usual shift is from 11am to 5pm but now that I have class until 11am, my boss changed it to 3pm to 9pm effective last Friday. After a loooong week, I had a loooong day and by 7pm last Friday, I was ready to go home. I didn't think I could even make it to 9pm but being a workaholic and all, I just forced myself to finish the shift. It did not help that my boss found my misery so amusing and kept rubbing it in that he finished at 5pm. *roll eyes*


On Sunday, when he asked me how my shift on Friday was, I told him I'm sorry but I can't do that shift because I don't have the energy to work until 9pm, and whether we could talk about changing my Friday shift again. His reply? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. With a straight face. What the fish? Dia ingat sia main-main ka? I was actually pretty pissed and when he asked me what I was doing with the bags in the basket, I just snapped at him, "I don't know, N. I'm just organising!" Then he laughed. Maybe he thought I was just being funny. Err... mana-mana ja la kau. Maybe I was a tad sensitive that day though. I blame PMS. 


In reality, I think I passed out after showering last Friday and didn't wake up until 8am the next day. Mind you, it was only 10pm when I collapsed on my bed. When I met E on Saturday, I told her, no whined to her that the shift was going to kill me. After many reassuring comments that I was not being too demanding to ask for a different shift, I decided that my gameplan would be to first talk to my boss again, and if that doesn't work, beg. And if all else fails, threaten i.e. tell him I dowan to fren him anymore. LOL! Actually, I was a nervous wreck because I've never asked my previous bosses back home for favours like these before. I'd feel extremely guilty if I had to take sick leave or leave work early. I guess that's the Asian culture, huh? 

So today, with my plan in check, I asked my boss if we could talk about my Friday shifts, and then he said, "no." What? Adakah patut? But this time, I knew he was joking. He too was happy today because he found out that he was going to have a baby boy with his gf. He wanted a boy and his gf wanted a girl. So he got wat he wanted, I guess. Yay for him! He could hardly contain his joy when he told me and Vicky. I was really happy for him though my uterus skipped a beat. Sigh... tick, tock, tick, tock. But that's another story. 

Anyway, him feeling really happy today plus me in a really good mood made my request to change shifts successful. Yay for Widgie!! He suggested that I work from 12pm to 6pm on Fridays now hopefully effective next week. He asked me to work one more Friday until 9pm this week, (he even said "Please" and put his hands together in begging mode) but turns out there were more than enough people rostered on Friday night. So he said I don't have to come in this Friday. (P/S: Shifts have been reduced for everyone during winter, the casual staff are doing 5 to 6 hours a week and the part-time and full-time staff are not working above their contracted hours. I'm doing 1/2 hour extra on Wednesdays though where I'm the only one on the registers so that my colleague can go on her break) 


At first, I was disappointed because I don't have any hours left in my Bank of Hours to replace that shift, but seeing as he was so nice today, I said ok in the end. I will owe 6 hours but hopefully my willingness to compromise today will work to my advantage in my Building Bridges scheme. Ain't that right, E? 


In conclusion, what have I learnt from all this? For negotiation to be a success, the stars must be aligned in your favour. Thank you coin! 


Favourite comments from Boss today: 
"You worked ONE Friday night, ONE!"
"Are you happy now?"
"Bridget, you are so happy!" with incredulous expression. 


Yes, N. I am. I owe you one. :) 

2 comments:

  1. For the benefit of everyone else, I'll reiterate the 4-steps:

    1. Ask
    2. Beg
    3. Threaten
    Last but not least,
    4. Physical assault.

    That's right B., we have to build bridges to cross the river. One girder at a time, remember? I'll bring the plans. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap, boss-man hasn't changed my Friday roster yet when I checked yesterday. Mcm mau minta2 kena physical assault la dis fella. "Sign"...

    M says I should try fainting to show how serious I am. Err... kinda dramatic oso la. Nanti kena cakap 'no need to come to work anymore' lagi la susah.

    ReplyDelete