Monday, August 2, 2010

What's love got to do with it?

I had a conversation the other day with a friend whose parents were in the midst of a divorce. My friend M was 19 when her parents decided to separate. I'm not too sure of the cause of the break-up but M did tell me that her mum told her that she was no longer in love with her dad, and that she had had other relationships outside the marriage. I suppose there may have also been other reasons but I didn't want to pry too much.

So anyway, that got me thinking about my own parents. I honestly don't think that after 30 years of marriage, they are 'in love', a term that seems very juvenile to me. I think they've gotten to be good friends who still disagree on a lot of things and yet, they're still together. Believe me, they've had their share of fights (roll eyes) but maybe underneath it all, they get their emotional needs fulfilled in terms of companionship, support and yes, love. And maybe that's enough for them. And maybe, that's what makes a marriage, not the feeling of 'being in love'.

No comments:

Post a Comment