Lily: I'm not in college anymore. I'd love to go back and be that person again, but you can't move backwards, you can only go forward.
Robin: Uhm... False! You can go wherever you want... the question is, where do you want to go?
(How I Met Your Mother - Season 1, Ep. 5)
Whenever I write a reflective piece, it is almost always triggered by something I hear or read. In this case, Robin says to Lily that her life doesn't have to be dictated by expectations and social norm, and that Lily has the power to choose which path to take. It definitely struck a chord with me because I've been struggling with this question for almost 10 years.
In January this year, not realising that this was the first of many coffee meet-ups, EW and I had coffee at Coffee Bean in Damai to discuss, evaluate, analyse and yes, I admit it, whine about our lives. The week before our coffee meet-up, I received the excellent news of a scholarship for my studies here in Melbourne. And then EW surprised me with another one - she too was relocating to Melbourne!
Yay! What more could I ask for? I was going on a brand new journey and I had the best company I could hope for. I felt on top of the world that day. It was as if the stars were finally aligned and all was right with the universe. My life at that moment was perfect. I told EW that the only thing I could think of that could have topped my momentary euphoria was if I got married this year.
Well, it's December 31st and suffice to say that the marriage thing didn't happen or you would have heard about it by now. What did happen was the usual drama that comes with moving to a new place - accommodation challenges, financial challenges, work and study-related challenges, etc.
Back home, things weren't as rosy either. Three weeks after I arrived in Melbourne, my grandmother passed away. It was sudden but devastating nonetheless. And it wasn't the only family death this year. A few months later, my uncle passed away and it was just as sudden.
If anything, 2009 has taught me that life is indeed too short and that we should keep on counting our blessings. There is no doubt that I have been blessed with supportive family members and friends this year for it has certainly been a year where I needed to borrow the strength of others.
Although there have been some bumps and bruises along the way, I'm also grateful for the good things this year - I'm halfway through my course with two more semesters to go. I've got a part-time job. I've met interesting people. I've had visits from family and friends who bring me little pieces of home. I've explored my new surroundings - Great Ocean Road was amazing all three times!
Also, a big Hooray to all who have gotten married or engaged, had a baby, made the career change they've been dreaming of for years (myself included!), moved to a foreign land, gone on that vacation, bought that new house or car, etc.
May we find in 2010 that we are surrounded by as much hope, love and peace. Happy New Year everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment