Wednesday, December 16, 2009

When East meets West (Part 1)

Lately, I've been thinking about cultural differences and how we all act (and react) to things according to our individual beliefs, experiences and backgrounds. Take for instance the knife block set I received as a Christmas present from the workplace. When I saw the knife set, grateful as I was for kitchenware worth more than a hundred bucks, I couldn't help wondering whether it was an appropriate gift.

In my Asian background and Malaysian upbringing, it is inappropriate to give a bottle of wine to a Muslim, or to give baby clothes to a mother-to-be before the baby is born, or to give a watch or a clock as a gift. Jewelery, trinkets, homeware, electrical goods and its sorts are acceptable, cash is even better, although it is customary to 'hide' the cash in red/green packets before giving them to someone.

In my 10 months here in Melbourne, I've had interesting experiences that clashed with my upbringing and the way things are back home. In the classroom for instance, I've found that it is not a place where you would discover theories for the first time, but a place where you are to discuss with fellow coursemates the theory(ies) you've read, what you've experienced personally and whether or not you agree with the theory.

Needless to say, it is a different approach to learning than what I'm used to back home. Granted, we were still supposed to prepare ourselves for classes as well but unlike my classes here, we were not given lecture notes until we attended lectures, nor did we have the subject (and lecture) outline given beforehand. Discussions during class was discouraged because it 'disturbed' the lecturer as well as the class. Furthermore, disagreeing with the lecturer was seen as a sign of challenging the lecturer's authority. In short, talking in class was not encouraged. Personal experience and opinions straying from the text were met with raised eyebrows and frowns from lecturers and coursemates alike. The rules were simple - you go to class, sit down, keep quiet and take notes. If you have a question, wait till after class to ask.

It only took one lecture for me to understand that it doesn't work like this in classes here.


No comments:

Post a Comment