Thursday, October 1, 2009

Beliefs and expectations

This week, I had a class about beliefs and how we form our beliefs based on our past experiences. I haven't read up on the theory yet but something about this class really struck a chord with me, especially in terms of group dynamics.

When the lecturer started talking about beliefs and how our beliefs can taint our perception of the things around us. It's something like when we have a bad experience about someone or something, our perception will never be 'neutral' again. I felt that this was such an injustice that we could be judged based on something we did previously and that nothing we do will change that perception.

I had an experience with a group member who had felt upset because other members were not completing their tasks by the said date. Comments such as 'Why should I help them, they were the ones who did things last minute!' and "I'm so disappointed in them" came up. I suppose she had no idea that although they were late in submitting their parts of the report, they are the type of people who would get it done anyway, and that the quality of work they churned out was better that her own. Granted, she did her part on time, but she did not know the hours I spent trying to reword her sentences and 'fix' the overall structure.

So yesterday, at another group meeting, I said something like, "I have very high expectations." and one group member said "It's good, coz that will take you places". Then I said, "yeah, but it makes ppl hate me." I laughed then I said, "I do have high expectations, but I also have faith in people, and that they will do things to the best of their ability". Lol.. sometimes, I think I am too wise for my own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment