Monday, July 20, 2009

Melbourne Open House 2009

Ellen and I had a lovely educational day looking at buildings around Melbourne. The Melbourne Open House event gives the public the chance to visit and explore some of the buildings in and around the CBD area for free. Some buildings were more popular than others, evident by the 2.5 hour line up.

We had the chance to visit 5 buildings yesterday and I think we spent a total of 2 hours standing in line. It was a windy day and really cold in some of the shady areas. I guess we should be grateful it didn't rain. That said, it was a good time for us to recall funny memories, talk about the passersby (in Malay of course), think about the future, etc.

By far, my favourite building is the Council House 2 in Lt Collins Street. This building achieved a six Green Star rating for being sustainable. It has features like a water-mining plant in the basement, phase-change materials for cooling (it looked like a metallic ball), automatic night-purge windows, wavy concrete ceiling and a façade of louvers (powered by photovoltaic cells) that track the sun.

I never thought that I would love looking at buildings all day but I guess the company matters as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment